Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Perfect Home

One of the things I like to do as I travel is give friends tokens of my esteem. This year I knit dishcloths as I traveled and gave them to the friends who hosted me. They seemed to think it was cool to watch their gift grow as we caught up.

I also took along three already knit gifts, two scarves and a hat. The scarves were well received, but the hat found its perfect home. The Dancing Grannies Hat went to a friend who lives in Bynum, a small mill town south of the University of North Carolina. She's an interesting character who is just a thesis short of a master's degree in folk lore.

My Bynum friend lives in a genuine millhouse made entirely of clapboard, inside and out. The only heat is a wood stove in the living room and a space heater in the bedroom. The floor is made of painted planks - very artfully painted in the bedroom.


Dancing Grannies Hat is going to feel right at home in this environment.

4 comments:

Elrond Hubbard said...

Hey there Witless Wanderer. Your new entry popped up at the top of my magic blogroll, and I saw that hat! So, welcome home to where your home is. It was great meeting you. It's strange seeing those floors immortalized online! I hope their painter sees them too.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I've missed you. KC

Iron Needles said...

I am glad Dancing Grannies found such an appropriate new home.

While you were away, I was in SLC to visit Middle Daughter. I was there for a whole 24 hrs. She had a plan for every minute. But when she excitedly told me where we were going to be taking Sunday breakfast...'at Ruth's!'...to which I responded "Ruth's Diner? with biscuits?!?" it left her speechless! How does Mom know these things?

HA! I have my sources!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie!
Your dishrag and lovely shawl have made perfect additions to my home! I always enjoy your visit, and miss you- Glad to see you arrived home without an overnight stay in the airport this time :)