Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Tokens

If I was rich in my own right, I would probably end up giving most of it away. I simply don't have whatever it takes to put the acquisition and hoarding of money front and center in my life. I also like to give gifts.

But, alas, I'm not rich, so I have to think of less extravagant gifts than a Porsche or a diamond tiara.

I want to give my friends tokens that say I appreciate having them as friends, yet that don't cost a whole lot of money. I want them to be pleased, not to feel obligated.

One of my friends makes beaded and bent wire jewelry. She has "earring parties" at her home a couple of times a month where she opens her bead boxes and gives instruction on how to build earrings. She taught me how, so I've decided to make earrings for some of my friends for Christmas. Actual construction doesn't take a long time, but the selection of materials does. I look for beads and findings (the parts that finish the jewelry off and give it structure) that go with the person I'm making the jewelry for.

My young nieces get butterflies and fairies. My cousin who loves vibrant colors gets rich red. It's fun to try to find things that each person will like and put them together pleasingly. Sure hope the victims, oops, recipients, like my efforts.

No comments: