Sunday, July 13, 2008

Political Propaganda - From Mom

Sigh. I love my parents, but we are at political antipodes. They sit on the extreme right in most things and I'm pretty far left. The only places we agree is that the government should be fiscally responsible - of course, we disagree on exactly what that entails - and that most politicians are lying scoundrels (well, duh, most of 'em are lawyers.)

I try my best not to talk politics with them, but they seem to firmly believe that they can cure my blind wrong headedness by telling me "The Facts." Mom sent me some very enlightening true facts about Obama today.

This one was in a purported thank you letter from an OPEC minister:

Finally, thank you for allowing us to nominate one of our own for president of the United States! We have donated millions to the election fund of Barack Obama-a man who is anti-American, anti-military, anti-Christian, and anti-white. Obama will be the ideal president for us, and we will donate billions more, if necessary to get him elected. When Obama is your president, we will decimate your military, open your borders to the people of Islam, set up terrorist groups in all of your cities, build mosques throughout your land, and begin the conversion of American people to Islam. In a short time, you will be working for us!



Geeze o' pete. I would think an educated person like my Mom would be embarrassed to pass that along. It's fear mongering without a single concern for reality. It's so outlandish it's in pretty much the same catagory as the Sock Obama to me.




I thought this one was scarier because it was more realistic, thus more likely to be taken as the truth:

This is something you should be aware of so you don't get blind sided.

Proposed changes in taxes after 2008 General Election:

CAPITAL GAINS TAX


MCCAIN
0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA
28% on profit from ALL home sales


and so on and so on, finally coming to the conclusion that taxes would double under an Obama presidency.

So I did a little fact checking and ended up at the Annenberg Foundation's political fact checking web site on this page. It pretty much corroborated and condensed what I had found elsewhere.

http://www.factcheck.org/ seems like a darn fine, unbiased, site to me. I think I will be referring to it frequently between now and November.

Wish Mom would check her facts before she sends stuff along.

I'll bet she'd would love this little toy too.


(Image from the Hillary Nutcracker Official Site.)

1 comment:

Iron Needles said...

I see that we would not have politics to argue about!