Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Keeping His Ears Warm

I knit my beloved Engineer a headband to keep his ears warm when he skis. After telling me he liked the color, he said it needed to be lined - and he didn't say "Thank you."

He accepts gifts so graciously.

Instead of strangling him, I went ahead and knit a whole 'nother ski band to make a reversible ear warmer.

I decided to be romantic. Our wedding rings were custom-made with a Latvian good luck pattern on them, so I did my gauge swatch (is the virtue shining out of me, or what?) then printed out some custom knitting graph paper from a Japanese knitting web site, tata-tatao. (Amazing what you can find on the web.) I graphed out the pattern of the wedding ring as best I could in the space I had. Then I had to knit the darn thing. It was (gee, have I ever said this before) a learning experience. I knit from the left side of the graph to the right side, then knit the other half while counting backwards. I put yellow highlighter on the graph rows as I completed them so I would know where I was in the pattern. I perled all the places I wanted to be flat and knit the places I wanted to be raised. It works with cables, so I figured it would work with lines too.

Wrong.

Ah well, edumacation, it's good for me.

I decided I liked the wrong side better than the right side, so I whipstitched it to the original headband so that the inside was the outside - or was it the inside was inside - or some such dang thing.

Anyway, here it is. It looks better on because the pattern is more visible when it's stretched.

Dr. PickyEngineer likes it and thinks it will now be warm enough to keep his tender parts toasty. (And he didn't say "Thank you," again. Poo-poo face butt head!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, now I am impressed! That is amazing and it turned out beautiful!! The engineer is one lucky man. I hope the accountant never reads your blog with all the knitting, cooking, etc. He would be kicking me to the curb. KC

Iron Needles said...

Nice job on the headband/earwarmer/tenderparts toaster.

And thanks for the nice comment on my shawl, too.

(See, some of us know how to say thanks...)

momo said...

nice headband

latvian?
my soul mate is latvian

sveke....

Wunx~ said...

Thank you and paldies for the nice comments.

I've got to admit that the Engineer has said a couple of times now that he likes it and it's warm. And he bought me a pretty Saturday, so I have nothing to complain about.