Monday, August 20, 2007

Heading to Idaho - Wednesday 8-15

Pencil and paper blogging - so much less flexible than composing on the computer. I write more slowly than I type. I can't cut and paste or rearrange things on a whim. Nor do I have a spell checker.

I bought my first computer for the spell checker. I had delusions of being a writer, but my typing was execrable and my spelling was worse. I figured a computer could compensate for a multitude of sins. I now type and spell better than I ever thought I would, but I'm still not published.

Ah well, keep working at it and maybe one of these days...

The drive from Salt Lake City to Boise takes about five hours. The Engineer insisted we leave at 6:00 a.m. He is insane.

We drove up I-84, what my Beloved calls "The Empty Corridor." For the most part, that description's pretty accurate. I nod off a whole lot, the vibration of the truck makes my head fuzzy. I did look out the windows (bug spattered though they were) a good bit of the time. As the sun was rising, I was fascinated by the pink virga and, a little later in the day, the angel staircases.

I first noticed angel staircases when I was a little kid. I never asked my parents about them, I simply saw them and, with the faith of a child, knew what they were. I guess most people simply call them sunbeams, but to me that does not do them poetic justice.
Someday I hope to take a truly fine photo of the phenomenon.

Transcribed from my pretty green notebook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, my mother called the phenomena, "drawing down water". I never quite knew what that meant (or perhaps I misunderstood), but it felt like the sky and earth sharing water in some sort of a kindly way. (Mary)