Monday, January 21, 2008

Books and Reading

I learned to read when I was seven -- right after I got my first pair of contact lenses. Amazing what a difference being able to see properly made. I've had my nose in a book pretty much ever since.

Science fiction drew me early on. The first SF book I remember was Space Cat by Ruthven Todd. I also loved horse books, Indian (but not western) books, historicals, caveman and dinosaur books, fantasy, of course.

OMG! I just went online and looked for the Princess and Curdie books... Reprints are available! I know what I'm going to do with some of that Barnes & Noble gift card I got for Christmas. Now to hope that the illustrator is the same, because the pictures really helped make the story. I loved the part about how they could tell what a person was like by holding hands and feeling an animal paw or snake belly. It's going to be interesting to see how a childhood favorite strikes me now that I'm chronologically grown up.

I read nonfiction too: animal and nature books, gardening, crafts, science, how-to, history, computer books, art books, funny books.

I LOVE BOOKS!

The Engineer started moving some of the bizzillion boxes of books we stored in the basement during the remodeling era today. While I sorted through heaps of my office stuff (I'm trying to organize everything as I put it back), he toted books upstairs and shelved them.

He has almost as many books as I do. More than half of his are in Latvian -- which he claims to be able to read. I have my doubts about that, though, because he always has his older brother read any Christmas cards from Latvia for him before he'll tell me what they say.

Not that it matters. He is not a reader. Books are not magic for him, they're objects to place on shelves to looks good. You can tell by how he shelves them -- by size.

No comments: