Saturday, January 13, 2007

Monsters

"From ghoulies and ghosties
And long leggety beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!"
- Scottish saying

I think monsters are cool. Not real monsters like people who do horrible things to children, but imaginary monsters like Chupacabras and Nessie. I don't like them so much that I buy The National Enquirer or The Star, though those tabloids can be fun to read while you wait in line at the grocery store. I have taken out more than one book on monsters from the library and read about them on-line sometimes.

I dream about them too. A couple of those dreams were so scary that they will stay with me for all of my life, some of them have been simply totally bizarre.

When I was a kid, I kinda believed in the UnderBedMonster and in the magical power of covers to keep myself safe. My UnderBedMonster wasn't a traditional big, hairy, clawed, smelly creature, it was a hive sort of a creature whose components swam around under the bed like air fish, looking for anything that might dangle over the edge. I knew they weren't really there -- I know they aren't really there -- but, to this day, I am not comfortable if any part of me hangs over the edge of my bed. Occasionally I will test myself and let one of my hands dangle over the edge, but I can only do it for so long before my fingers start to twitch with apprehension, awaiting the bite of savage fangs.

What I would really like would be a MoatMonster.

The Salt Lake Public Library had one in its reflecting pond a couple of summers ago during the annual art festival.


Here's his picture.
Isn't he gorgeous?

I want him for my very own!









A monster lived under the bed
It filled the poor children with dread
It liked to bite toes
Would nip finger or nose
And would happily snap off your head.

No comments: