Monday, January 8, 2007

Looking For Subject Matter

What have I done to myself? I resolved to write a blog entry every day in 2007. No biggie, I thought, blog entries are short.

Ah, but they should be short and pithy.

Pithy, now there's a word to play with. It sounds so delightfully vulgar. But it isn't.

pith·y [pith-ee]
adjective, pith·i·er, pith·i·est.
1. brief, forceful, and meaningful in expression; full of vigor, substance, or meaning; terse; forcible: a pithy observation.

It's a word to challenge a person who's trying to apply it to their prose. And I do want my blog entries to be pithy. True I'm writing this for me, but if someone stumbles across it, I would like it to be worth reading.

How 'bout a couple of limericks with no socially redeeming value? Limericks are short and entertaining. My favorite kind are the slightly scandalous ones -- I'm not going to go so far as to write about that famous guy from Nantucket, however.

A girl who wouldn't clean house
Put on a dirty old blouse
She found in the breast
Was built quite a nest
Inhabited by a small mouse.

Sweet Susie went out for a lark
And decided that she'd like to park
With a bold teenage stud
Their hormones in flood
Lord knows what they did in the dark.

Perhaps I should try to write a limerick a day to either open or close my blog entry. That could be fun...

Today I will close with a picture of one of my orchids.


No comments: