Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap...

I maintain websites for several clubs and nonprofits (saying no is not something I'm good at.) One club recently had ISP problems and decided to change hosting services. I suggested Lunarpages, a fine and excellent hosting service, which charges $6.95 per month to do everything but polish your derriere. Another club member stood up and said, "I can host it for free on the server in my son's hall closet."

And the club members cheered and decided to host it for free.

Don't folks know that, more often than not, you get what you pay for? Don't they have any conception of what a hall closet server is? Let me tell you, it ain't in the closet for nothing!

So now the web site is up and running on the closet server. Actually, running isn't quite accurate, crawling would be more descriptive. And I, the Official WebWench, cannot make any changes to it, so everything is out of date

Or, as Robert A. Heinlein once said: "TANSTAAFL." There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

No comments: