Sunday, September 16, 2007

Speed Limits


Amazing how flexible speed limits are.

I don't drink. No particular virtue or willpower on my part, I simply don't like the way it tastes. I am, therefor, always the designated driver.

Saturday evening, we went over to some friends' house for cocktails (I had ice water), then out to dinner. We went from Holladay to downtown Salt Lake City, along 215 and 80. Speed limit is posted, for the most part, at 65 miles per hour.

When I tried to drive 65, everybody was blowing by me like I was standing still. Same thing going home after dark. To quote that classic Mazda commercial, "Zoom, zoom, zoom!"

For many years, I lived in Michigan and would occasionally drive to West Virginia to visit my grandparents. In Michigan, everyone drives like bats out of Hades.

Then you hit the Ohio border and your brakes. You go even a couple miles over the limit in Ohio, they'll pop you. I think speeding ticket revenues the state's top income source. You can always tell the folks who haven't visited Ohio before. They're pulled over by the side of the road having a serious conversation with a trooper.

Then you cross over the bridge into West Virginia and it's time to start flying low again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, loved the music! That was a fun surprize. KC